Wednesday 10 June 2009

Deck Tech: It could even be a Boat! Brew

By Wagz

Hi all! I just got back from WNM where I went 3-1 with a new deck: It could even be a Boat! Brew. This deck is the stone cold nuts. I beat 2 Jund decks and a Grixis control deck, losing to Andy Devine with maindeck Double Negatives.

The idea behind the deck was that having qualified for nats today on rating (thank you, thank you, no really thank you) I wanted to play something fun as I didn't have to care about my constructed rating for approximately 1 year. I figured that cascade was the most fun thing in standard as I'm a pretty lucky person and wanted to look for a way to abuse it. Firstly, the name of the deck is because when you cascade, you could get anything - you could even get a boat. So, in went Chameleon Colossus, who has to be a Boat, right?

Then I wanted ways to abuse cascade. Some people use Esper Charms and the like, but most of the good cascade spells are Red Green or Green White, so I was a bit loathe to stretch my manabase that far. Magic Workstation with a filter on 1-2cmc yielded the fix - Quirion Dryad. This guy gets 2-3 counters off most cascade spells, adding superb value to already good cards. Naya Charm is a fantastic way to keep the deck going and I wanted a lot of land to make sure I was actually casting my spells. After a lot of tweaking (don't think it's optimal, but it's as close as I could get), presented here is the decklist:

4 Quirion Dryad
1 Elvish Visionary
4 Violent Outburst
1 Behemoth Sledge
4 Naya Charm
2 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Captured Sunlight
1 Boat!
4 Bituminous Blast
4 Enlisted Wurm
4 Treetop Village
4 Reflecting Pool
2 Exotic Orchard
4 Vivid Green
3 Vivid Red
2 Vivid White
2 Fire-Lit Thicket
2 Wooded Bastion
2 Forest
1 Mountain
1 Plains

Sideboard:
4 Kitchen Finks
4 Jund Charm
2 Enigma Spinx
2 Necrogenesis
1 Pithing Needle
2 Ingot Chewer

No comments:

Post a Comment