Sunday 5 July 2009

Guest Column: Drafting with Mick #2

By Mick Edwards

After spending a week of winning shadowmoor nix-tix draft it was back to silly formats this where I was certain to draft all my shadowmoor winnings away. I started with the incredably silly format of OLS making a random goblin/beast mish-mash that got beat by a very good soldier deck (turns out Rock Jockey is not an amazing morph beater but a bad hill giant with a drawback).
I then decided to try an equally silly format - ACR draft

Pack 1 pick 1:
Jungle Shrine
Over Viscera Dragger, Druid of the Anima, Knight of the Skyward Eye
I like the Knight alot and took some time over this decision but solid mana fixing is never a bad start to a draft.

Pack 1 pick 2:
Bull Cerodon
Over Rockslide Elemental, Rip-Clan Crasher, Bloodpyre Elemental
There was a common missing as the rare was lich's mirror, I can only imagine a foil was taken
The only common I can think of is oblivion ring and I dont think it was that print run.

Pack 1 pick 3:
Topan Ascetic
Over Ridge Rannet, Courier's Capsule, Akrasan Squire, Bone Splinters, Qasali Ambusher, Naya Panorama
Very Solid creature,

Pack 1 pick 4:
Naya Panorama
Over Tidehollow Sculler, Dawnray Archer
Maybe this is a signal that esper is open, but taking mana fixing is also ok I think.

Pack 1 pick 5:
Scourge Devil
Windwright Mage, Esper Charm, Esper Panorama
Definately a sign that esper is open, but I think my bomb (bull cerodon) is strong enough for me to stay naya

Pack 1 pick 6:
Dragon Fodder
Over Rip-Clan Crasher, Metallurgeon, Corpse Connoisseur, Cavern Thoctar
Posibly the wrong call but Dragon fodder is a niche card in what it does and i might be able to pick up some good devour creatures/dragons

Pack 1 pick 7:
Drumhunter
Over Carrion Thrash, Jungle Weaver
Jungle Weaver is good but drumhunter is key to this archtype.

Pack 1 pick 8:
Soul's Fire
Over Resounding Roar, Resounding Silence,Kederekt Creeper
Wow, strong pack!

Late Picks: Rip-clan crasher!


------ CON ------
Pack 2 pick 1:
Path to Exile (FOIL)
Over Aven Trailblazer, Brackwater Elemental, Exploding Borders, Filigree Fracture, Spore Burst, Esperzoa, Blood Tyrant,Fiery Fall, Pestilent Kathari, Valeron Outlander, Armillary Sphere
I thought about splashing for the bomb blood tyrant but decided foil path was good enough

Pack 2 pick 2:
Aerie Mystics
Over Kranioceros, Darklit Gargoyle, Faerie Mechanist, Rhox Bodyguard, Scattershot Archer
A much less impressive pack for my deck.

Pack 2 pick 3:
Gleam of Resistance
Over Goblin Outlander, Might of Alara, Ignite Disorder, Sludge Strider
Gleam is both fixing and a combat trick, I rate it very highly.

Pack 2 pick 4:
Aven Trailblazer
Over Filigree Fracture, Rupture Spire
Maybe the wrong choice as rupture spire is one of the best manafixers in the set, but i needed answers to fliers.

Pack 2 pick 5:
Knotvine Mystic
Over Skyward Eye Prophets, Kederekt Parasite, Esper Cormorants, Unsummon, Absorb Vis, Brackwater Elemental

Pack 2 pick 6:
Viashino Slaughtermaster
Over Esper Cormorants, Unsummon, Absorb Vis, Brackwater Elemental
Same print run, feels like I should have gone esper for these late comorants

Pack 2 pick 7:
Vagrant Plowbeasts
Over Grixis Slavedriver,Unsummon, Absorb Vis, Brackwater Elemental
same print run again

Pack 2 pick 8:
Exploding Borders
Over Cumber Stone, Knotvine Mystic, Pestilent Kathari,Wretched Banquet (FOIL), Brackwater Elemental
Late picks: Toxic Iguanar


------ ARB ------
Pack 3 pick 1:
Enlisted Wurm
Over Crystallization, Karrthus Tyrant of Jund, Terminate, Grixis Grimblade, Ethersworn Shieldmage, Wildfield Borderpost
I went for the very strong cascade card overthe removal or the crazy bomb, I probably could have splashed for the 7/7 but Enlisted wurm is a great fit for this deck.

Pack 3 pick 2:
Behemoth Sledge
Over Naya Hushblade, Rhox Brute
Perfect!

Pack 3 pick 3:
Crystallization
Over Sigiled Behemoth, Violent Outburst
Much Needed Removal

Pack 3 pick 4:
Bant Sureblade
Over Pale Recluse, Valley Rannet, Naya Sojourners, Gorger Wurm, Sigiled Behemoth, Messenger Falcons
This may have been the wrong pick but my deck was lacking early drops and bant sureblade is a very good early drop.

Pack 3 pick 5:
Wildfield Borderpost
Over Cerodon Yearling, Lorescale Coatl, Ethersworn Shieldmage

Pack 3 pick 6:
Stun Sniper
Over Mayael's Aria, Sigiled Behemoth, Violent Outburst, Fieldmist Borderpost

Pack 3 pick 7:
Sigiled Behemoth

Pack 3 pick 8:
Leonin Armorguard
Over Thopter Foundry! wow thats late!

Pack 3 pick 9:
Wildfield Borderpost

Pack 3 pick 10:
Sigil of the Nayan Gods
Over Wildfield Borderpost, Firewild Borderpost
Late picks: 2 Sigiled Behemoth!!!

GAMES:
Round 1: after making my deck I lose my internet connection and frantically run around trying to get back online. I manage to reconnect seconds before I get kicked for inactivity and 3 minutes later I have won the round. Game one I go: t1 borderpost, t2 land cycle, t3 knotvine mystic, t4 Bull Cerodon, t5 Vagrant PLowbeast, t6 Sigiled Behemoth

Round 2: I got mana screwed twice while he made t2 pro-red dude, t3 pro red dude, t4 punish ignorance my 1st play in one game and a turn 4 esperzoa (after more pro-red guys of course) in the other game that kept bouncing his borderpost while I kept replayinga Stun Sniper that he kept unsummoning.

EXTRA:
For people wondering how my game against marco in the ptq quarter finals went, I made a mistake which cost me the game, it went something like this:

I made figure and made it 4/4 while he made bitterrblossom then i made ramgang and he tried to agony warp to -3/-0 the ramgang and -0/-3 to kill the figure (with his faerie token) but i have gutteral response next turn he tries the same trick, only this time I have 4 mana up, I gutteral response his agony warp again but he has spell stutter for the gutteral response I forget that I can just make my figure a 4/4 again after the agony warp and it dies

I then realise but think it doesnt matter as I can force through enough damage with ramgang + ghitu encampment to put him in lethal banefire range (I have banefire in my hand) so i put him to 6 (and he has bitter blossom) he then topdecks mistbind clique tapping me out before I can play banefire and then topdecks loxodon warhammer to gain himself 7 life

No comments:

Post a Comment